Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

How to Make a Cute Diaper Bag out of Your Favourite Purse


Baby vs. Longchamp

When it comes to D.I.Y., I’m more D.I.Why? (ie. Why do it yourself when you can buy it?). However, if the project is simple enough (No drills or hammers for me!), and I'm motivated either by necessity, boredom, or cheapness, I may attempt to do it myself.

This particular project was motivated by necessity- the need to not carry a diaper bag that looks like it was designed for kids. Just because I have a kid doesn’t mean I want to accessorize like one.  I tried to use a regular tote bag as a diaper bag, but it really wasn’t practical.

That’s when I realized that with a little bit of creativity and very little effort, I could turn a tote bag into a practical and cute diaper bag.

This is so easy, that even a D.I.Y failure like me can do it:

1.      Choose a purse. Whether you buy one or use one you already have, I recommend a bag that is large, lightweight and wipeable/washable. Oh, and cute, obviously. I used a Longchamp bag.

2.      Subdivide- This is what brings your bag from purse to diaper bag. You’ll want compartments for the items you need to access quickly. Here is how I subdivided my bag:

a)      Diapers and bottle holder- This is probably the best part of my diaper bag- this little mesh compartment was originally part of a changing pad (I think by Sunshine Kids). I cut it off of the changing pad, and used it to line my bag for easy access to essential items.


 b)      Grown up items- I took this pouch compartment out of my old diaper bag. I placed it in the centre of my purse, it’s where I keep my wallet, and whatever else I need for myself. I also keep the instruction manual to the car seat in there, in case I need to reference it at any time (some may say that's weird. I say I'm just being prepared).

 
c)      Various small pouches. I keep “emergency” ready-to-feed cans of formula in a little pouch that I got from my old diaper bag. Use little pouches for anything from pacifiers to snacks. You can use pencil cases, reusable snack bags, or even freezer bags- whatever you have!


3.      Use what you’ve got-If your tote bag already has built-in pockets, bonus! Mine just has a tiny pocket at the top, but I find it great for things like tissues or keys or phone that I often need to access quickly.



4.      Enjoy your cute and practical “new” diaper bag!

My daughter approves of the new diaper bag.


16 comments:

  1. Love it! It's great to have those removable pouches so you can make the bag lighter if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good point. I hadn't even thought about that. My diaper bag just gets heavier and heavier!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I have a stash of Longchamp bags that have been collecting dust over the past year. I'm totally gonna have to reinvent them! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. Hope you have fun with it!

      Delete
  3. If you had written the post a month ago, you could have save my bf a lot of money - I asked him for a Lululemon bag as a push present lol. It has so many compartments I'm still finding new ones now! But it is all very organized. AND I think I will do this with some of my other bags. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. You can never have too many bags.

      Delete
  4. The removeable and reconfigurable pouches are a totally great idea. You may have a little something to develop and market! My unfortunate M.O. with my gender neutral diaper bag (so that my husband doesn't get his "Dude Looked Like a Lady" on when taking the kids somewhere) is to stash everything in one of the many compartments, and then when I go somewhere with just my regular purse, I wind up with no I.D., or money, or even worse, no emergency lip gloss and mascara. Who's doing the "Dude Looked Like a Lady" thing then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I just laughed out loud. Maybe it's time to give the gender neutral diaper bag to your husband, and get a cute one for yourself! :)

      Delete
  5. Nice job, Mommy! :) Super-cute pic at the end too ;) Nominated you for The Sunshine Award today--love your blog! http://www.themomoftheyear.net/2012/08/the-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I'd love for you to come visit me at Two In Diapers and link up this post to the Mommy-Brain Mixer! It's tons of fun! :) http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com/2012/08/mommy-brain-mixer-2.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you linked up to the Mixer and I hope to see you again on Thursday! Also, come on by and enter to win a super adorable Thirty-One bag or some awesome discounts on a Thirty-One order! :)

      Delete
  7. I love to hear that someone's tried a DIY when they don't consider themselves DIY-ers. Because that's me - I'm not really a DIY-er. But you're right - even this looks easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely is easy. It almost doesn't qualify as DIY, it's that easy.

      Delete
    2. I too am really NOT a DIY-er (though I DO have very sincere envy of those who are, and hope to someday morph into a DIY-er myself). But you made this look so easy and customizable, I am tempted to modify my baby registry :)
      Thanks for sharing!
      D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...